Beginning Urdu is a 10-week course designed for learners without any previous knowledge of Urdu language and culture. The goal of this course is to provide students with the fundamentals of Urdu grammar and help you move from novice low to novice high levels in all four skills (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) using a curriculum designed by instructors experienced in teaching to foreign students. Using a communicative approach and an innovative blended curriculum, this course will be conducted online. The primary medium of instruction is English.
By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Read and write in the Urdu script with minimal errors.
- Accurately recognize and pronounce all Urdu sound
- Develop basic listening and speaking abilities in Urdu.
- Learn about culturally, historically, and geographically significant cities and places.
- Gain familiarity with several aspects of Pakistani culture such as festivals, food, clothes, and popular and folk culture.
- Read and write in Urdu at satisfactory speed with adequate accuracy for survival level competency.
- Make basic inquiries and negotiate practical problems (e.g. shopping, asking/giving directions, telling time).
- Participate in basic social interactions (e.g. conversation about home, family, work, school, and daily life and essentials).
Click here to view the complete course outline.
Course Fee: TBA
Please go through Policies & Code of Conduct
Participants must register online through CES website by clicking on their desired course and filling out a one-page form. Before starting the registration process, please ensure that you have a formal scanned picture (for CES smart card) and CNIC details. Incorrect information provided during the registration process will lead towards cancellation of your enrolment at any stage and participants will not be entitled to claim a refund.
Once you have completed your online registration for your desired course, you may proceed to payment section. You have the option to pay online using your bank debit/credit cards through LUMS online payment system??https://pay.lums.edu.pk??OR by downloading the fee vouchers and depositing cash in any branch of designated banks specified on the fee voucher. Once you make your payment, you will receive a confirmation email within 24 to 48 working hours and your payment status will be updated to "PAID" in the online application portal.