- Duration: February 15, 2021 to March 17, 2021 (5 Weeks)
- Schedule: Mondays and Wednesdays (6:30 PM to 8:30 PM)
- Course Fee: PKR 25,000
"Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard - David McCollough
How do you distill a message into a memorable sentences that capture your readers' attention, move your ideas forward, focus the problem, and help you accomplish your goals?
In order to achieve the above, proficiency in professional writing is the skill that you will need to perfect. Today's professionals must convey their messages concisely, confidently, and memorably. This course is for individuals who aim to strengthen their writing skills, and their authentic voices as professionals. It sensitizes you to the importance of succinct written expression in different workplace settings to and to the changes in business writing in our modern globalized world.
You will learn that for effective business writing information must be value-additive and complete hence clarity of purpose gives a direction to the writing and develops its tone, structure, and flow. The key skill required in today's professional landscape is to able to reduce long, rambling sentences into concise, clear ones - to extract what is significant and so write clearly and powerfully. Communication is incomplete if the interlocutors do not comprehend all the nuances of the messages and this is possible only through logical analysis of a rhetorical situation from various perspectives to identify, the purpose, linguistic, and stylistic requirements of a message.
What sets this course apart from other communication courses is that you will have ample opportunities to analyze effective as well as ineffective professional writing and thus learn to spot, correct and avoid the most common writing pitfalls while revising a wide spectrum of business documents.
To this effect, a great deal of emphasis will be on idea organization & stylistic choices in professional writing keeping in mind the changing connotations of words and expressions in the English language.
Throughout the course you will be engaged in interactive activities, discussions, and a series of min-writing tasks. These tasks are designed to reinforce what you are learning in each session.
This course will work for you if you put in the required time and effort - remember "good writing is not a natural gift. You have to learn to write well" (David Ogilvy, founder of Ogilvy & Mather).
What will you get?
Strategies and Tips to:
- understand the requirements of different types of audiences for different purposes
- select and use appropriate formats and mediums for different audiences
- identify your objective and communicate it clearly
- spend on average 50% less time on each document
- learn global business etiquette such as the art of addressing people in a professional setting etc
- write effectively for instructional, informational, persuasive, and transactional purposes
- eliminate noise in your writing thereby bringing in clarity of thought, conciseness and correct grammar and sentence structure
- avoid common mistakes in professional writing style
- learn latest netiquette
- plan a document's structure to avoid writer's block
- proficiently draft emails, memos, minutes of meeting, reports, letters, proposals etc. for both internal as well as external communication
- design and impactfully incorporate visual elements in your documents that compliment & supplement your message
- learn how to edit and proofread business documents
- learn how to write for a local as well as a global market
- project competency & professionalism every time you write
PhD, Education, Management & Leadership, University of Northern Washington
Assistant Professor, Department Of Humanities & Social Sciences, LUMS
Course Fee: PKR 25,000/-
Note: CES may cancel or postpone a course due to insufficient enrolment or unforeseen circumstances. In this case, the university will refund registration/processing fee (if any) but will not be responsible for any other related charges/expenses including cancellation/change charges by airline and travel agencies.
Please go through Policies
& Code of Conduct
Participants must register online through CES website by selecting their desired course/s and filling out a one-page form. Before starting the registration process, please ensure that you have a formal scanned picture and CNIC details. Please ensure correct information is provided in all fields to avoid any inconvenience.
- You can either pay for an individual course priced at PKR. 25,000 or
- Pay together for all five courses of the certification with a discounted amount of PKR. 100,000
Once you have completed your online registration for your desired course, you may proceed to payment section. You have the option to pay online using your bank debit/credit cards through LUMS online payment system at https://pay.lums.edu.pk OR by downloading the fee vouchers and depositing cash in any branch of designated banks specified on the fee voucher. Once you make your payment, you will receive a confirmation email within 24 to 48 working hours and your payment status will be updated to "PAID" in the online application portal.
For any queries, please write to us at email@example.com