This course introduces students and participants to how popular media and news outlets operate, with a specific focus on Pakistani media. The course focuses on how populist politics impacts information and media and how disinformation, 'alternative facts' and propaganda is formed, framed, disseminated, and mainstreamed into public discourse. The course will introduce participants to these principles by teaching them how to dissect and analyzing news clips in class and identifying the point where opinion is posited as a fact.
By the end of this course, the students should be able to:
- Identify and analyse the 5W's and H of journalism
- Distinguish between fake news and legitimately sourced information
- Identify how confirmation bias operates in Pakistani media
Course Fee: TBA
Please go through Policies & Code of Conduct
Participants must register online through the CES website by clicking on their desired course and filling out a one-page form. Before starting the registration process, please ensure that you have the following:
- A passport-sized photograph for the CES smartcard. It should be against a white background.
- Correct CNIC details.
Incorrect information provided during the registration process will lead towards cancellation of your enrolment at any stage, and participants will not be entitled to claim a refund.
Once you have completed your online registration, you may proceed to the payment section. You have two options:
1. Pay online using your bank debit/credit cards through LUMS online payment system https://pay.lums.edu.pk
2. Download the fee voucher and deposit cash in any branch of the designated banks specified on the fee voucher.
Once the payment has been made, you will receive a confirmation email within 24 to 48 working hours, and your payment status will be updated to "ENROLLED" in the online application portal.
KalPay Taleem offers an instalment facility for participants enrolled in CES on-campus courses and workshops. If you want this option, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 0328 3044414 for more information.