"No matter what job you have in life, your success will be determined 5 percent by your academic credentials, 15 percent by your professional experiences and 80 percent by your communication skills." -Stephen Wang
Whether you are a graduate looking to strengthen your skills in pursuit of your chosen career or you are a professional looking to secure your next promotion, you might be wondering what should be your first step in this process.
While it is important to develop your industry-specific hard skills, what is just as critical to your success are your soft skills.
Soft skills, better known as essential skills, relate to how you work - how you interact with colleagues, how you solve problems, how you pitch your ideas and how you manage your work.
In our globalized, fast-changing work environment effective communication is recognized as a soft skill crucial to an organization's growth and success.
How many times have you ever said or written something to someone that they took the wrong way? This happens in the workplace all the time.
Regardless of your industry, employers expect you to have excellent written and verbal communication skills along with a charismatic professional persona.
Despite its demand, students and aspiring employees are seldom trained in workplace communication skills that can boost their professional development and facilitate an organization's growth. The LUMS Centre for Continuing Education Studies' Certificate in Professional Communication seeks to bridge this deficit by preparing individuals for a dynamic and rapidly evolving job market.
Individuals opting for this certification will be trained in effective verbal, written, and interpersonal workplace communication skills. Courses in this certification will help students practice and improve audience-oriented communication and foster and hone leadership qualities.
Who will benefit from this certification?
- Individuals searching for employment opportunities or preparing themselves for the job market
- Members of the current workforce seeking to improve their career prospects
Throughout the course our focus will be on transforming you into a dynamic individual that commands attention from the audience.
You will learn traditional and as well as contemporary models of communication and will be trained to share your ideas in a competent, creative and charismatic manner.
"The human brain is a wonderful organ. It starts to work as soon as you are born & doesn't stop until you get up to deliver a speech." - George Jessel
Your success in today's world depends largely on your ability to communicate in a dynamic and memorable manner. In this context, the art of public speaking is one of the most important skills to master - yet it is one that most of us need to work on.
This highly participative and activity-based course provides you with opportunities to develop impactful public speaking & presentation skills. Through hands-on tasks, mini case-studies and practical demonstrations of effective and ineffective practices, the course material is designed to help you develop a persona that exudes confidence and sets you apart from the crowd.
What sets this course apart from other communication courses is that after 10 sessions you will be ready to stand up anywhere and anytime and effectively & impactfully deliver a well-organized, coherent and dynamic speech while exuding confidence and charisma.
Throughout the course our focus will be on transforming you into a dynamic speaker that commands attention from the audience. You will learn traditional and as well as contemporary styles of presentations and will be trained to deliver an effective speech in a creative and engaging manner.
To this effect we will analyze popular TED talks, speeches by renowned speakers and numerous other types of professional presentations. In this manner you will learn how to conduct an audience analysis, organize your ideas, select appropriate words and use your speaking voice to emphasize and enunciate what you say.
What will you get?
Strategies and Tips to:
- overcome nervousness
- develop confidence in your abilities and self
- develop charisma & an impactful persona
- use non-verbal cues appropriate to specific contexts to establish your credibility as a speaker
- develop dynamic, expansive and open body language
- improve your posture, gestures, facial expressions and eye contact
- use the best and most effective rhetorical strategies used by professional speakers
- refine your para-verbal cues (volume & rate of speech, word stress, rhythm & intonation)
- use emphatic pausing and tonal variations
- use voice projection exercises to improve your vocal strength and quality
- use your voice to project confidence, command attention and connect with your audience
- create & use unique hooks to grab your audience's attention at the beginning of your talk
- engage your audience throughout your speech & minimize audience distraction
- use effective sign-posting and transitions
- end your speech with a bang
- project energy, enthusiasm and eagerness
- plan and deliver an effective speech within minutes (impromptu)
- design and use visual aids that compliment & supplement your presentation / speech
"Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard - David McCollough
- understand the requirements of different types of audiences for different purposes
- select and use appropriate formats and mediums for different audiences
- identify your objective and communicate it clearly
- spend on average 50% less time on each document
- learn global business etiquette such as the art of addressing people in a professional setting etc
- write effectively for instructional, informational, persuasive, and transactional purposes
- eliminate noise in your writing thereby bringing in clarity of thought, conciseness and correct grammar and sentence structure
- avoid common mistakes in professional writing style
- learn latest netiquette
- plan a document's structure to avoid writer's block
- proficiently draft emails, memos, minutes of meeting, reports, letters, proposals etc. for both internal as well as external communication
- design and impactfully incorporate visual elements in your documents that compliment & supplement your message
- learn how to edit and proofread business documents
- learn how to write for a local as well as a global market
- project competency & professionalism every time you write
This course will train you in the numerous techniques of creating and presenting your curriculum vitae, cover & interest letters, and creating professional profiles on platforms such as LinkedIn. You will get opportunities to practice the art of professional goal setting, narrative building, and crafting a work philosophy to boost all of your professional endeavors. You will learn to tell a story about the journey it took to become qualified for your desired profession and will leave the course with a polished portfolio (digital and otherwise) that will assist you in showcasing your work, skills, talents and professional growth.
Through a focus on preparation strategies, interactive role plays, and mock interviews, you will be trained to develop a better understanding of your strengths, skills and key selling points to confidently tackle interviews for jobs, apprenticeships, placements etc. This course will teach you how to approach answering different types of interview questions through an analysis of best practice techniques. You will excel at behavior-based interviews as well as at pitching yourself while highlighting your unique-selling-point in order to set yourself apart. Finally you will learn to network successfully - starting and maintaining a conversation that makes you memorable and to sustain a network of useful contacts.
Participants will complete their certification with a professional development course of their choosing from offerings outside of this certification. By enrolling in a supplementary course such as data analysis, effective marketing, or python, etc. students will have the opportunity to develop an additional skill relevant to their field of interest.
Course Fee: PKR 100,000/-
Please go through Policies & Code of Conduct
Participants must register online through CES website by selecting their desired course/s and filling out a one-page form. Before starting the registration process, please ensure that you have a formal scanned picture and CNIC details. Please ensure correct information is provided in all fields to avoid any inconvenience.
- You can either pay for an individual course priced at PKR. 25,000 or
- Pay together for all five courses of the certification with a discounted amount of PKR. 100,000
Once you have completed your online registration for your desired course, you may proceed to payment section. You have the option to pay online using your bank debit/credit cards through LUMS online payment system at https://pay.lums.edu.pk OR by downloading the fee vouchers and depositing cash in any branch of designated banks specified on the fee voucher. Once you make your payment, you will receive a confirmation email within 24 to 48 working hours and your payment status will be updated to "PAID" in the online application portal.
For any queries, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org